Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wax Poetic

"To become increasingly verbose and romantic in speech. To become more and more like a poem."


How poetic.


I have been in the mood to become more poetic myself. Not only to write more but to know more. My literature anthology from school holds many varied poems from 1500 to the present and I love to pick it up in passing and glance at a few before putting it back on its shelf. Today I read several and wanted to share a couple that I enjoyed...

When I was fair and young
Queen Elizabeth I

When I was fair and young, and favor graced me,
Of many was I sought, their mistress for to be;
But I did scorn them all, and answered them therefore,
"Go, go, go seek some otherwhere,
Importune me no more!"

How many weeping eyes I made to pine with woe,
How many sighing hearts, I have no skill to show;
Yet I the prouder grew, and answered them therefore,
"Go, go, go seek some otherwhere,
Importune me no more!"

Then spake fair Venus' son, that proud victorious boy,
And said: "Fine dame, since that you be so coy,
I will so pluck your plumed that you shall say no more,
'Go, go, go seek some otherwhere,
Importune me no more!'"

When he had spake these words, such change grew in my breast
That neither night nor day since that, I could take any rest.
Then lo! I did repent that I had said before,
"Go, go, go seek some otherwhere,
Importune me no more!"


Since there's no help, come let us kiss and part
Michael Drayton

Since there's no help, come let us kiss and part;
Nay, I have done, you get no more of me,
And I am glad, yea glad with all my heart
That thus so cleanly I myself can free;
Shake hands forever, cancel all our vows,
And when we meet at any time again,
Be it not seen in either of our brows
That we one jot of former love retain.
Now at the last gasp of love's latest breath,
When his pulse failing, passion speechless lies,
When faith is kneeling by his bed of death,
And innocence is closing up his eyes,
Now if thou wouldst, when all have given him over,
From death to life thou mightst him yet recover.


I know, they're both slightly gloomy, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

Perhaps I will make this a habit, posting poems I enjoy. Look out for more in the future, I suppose!

No comments: